Friday, November 7, 2008

Message From Wynne - written 11/2/2008

Wynne asked me to post this message she wrote on Sunday 11/2/08 - R:

Well, three weeks ago today, I was in the ICU, full of tubes and hanging on for dear life - and, it is, indeed dear. Today, I was able to sit on my couch at home, drink a cup of coffee, and watch the latest political news and I am incredibly grateful for many things:

1. That my husband was home from Ft. Worth and recognized the signs of stroke when I was having one - he literally saved my life and by getting me medical care immediately, greatly improved my chances for recovery with fewer disabilities. Now I can walk, I can talk well enough to be understood - and I can take care of myself with a lot less help than I needed just a few days ago. And I have great hope that I'll be able to use my left arm and hand again. Along with tying my own shoes, driving and typing, I told my Occupational Therapist that one of my goals was to regain my ability to flip off someone if I really needed to. Would you call that an Activity of Daily Living? Maybe some days.... smile....

2. I'm so grateful that I have health insurance that covers many of the bills I am racking up - I just got my first statement from the hospital - $132,000 so far... I can only imagine how someone might feel to get a bill like that on top of a serious illness if they have no insurance.

3. I'm so fortunate that I got top notch medical and rehabcare - I cannot say enough about the quality of care I received from CNA's, the nurses, the therapists, the hospital and rehab staff, and the doctor's who treated me - they all knew their stuff and were so professional and kind - even Nurse Ratchett was, I’m sure, instrumental in helping me get better. :)

4. That I had so many people supporting me and my family with prayers, warm, positive thoughts, kind words on cards and emails, blog comments, flowers, balloons, gifts, visits, calls, food and many other very concrete and practical expressions of support and caring. What those all meant in my ability to develop and keep a positive outlook cannot be overstated. And my friends and mom and Ed who were here at such a difficult time, supporting Russ and me and helping to keep some semblance of a routine for Sydney.

To be loved and cheered on like that would heal anyone, I think. I told some of my Twin City Mission staff that it would be so great if we were able to provide a level of care like I’ve had to each and every person who came through our doors for help in any of our services, they just couldn't help but get better. (Not that you don't already - you guys are awesome!)It is really amazing what one person can do to help another. Simply making the effort to reach out to someone else makes you a richer person. And I think I'd have to say I know some of the truly richest people around. I believe that no effort with true and right intention is ever wasted - each of us has something unique and special to share in this world and we are so fortunate when we can get past our own self-imposed biases and limitations to truly see, one another.

5. I was so grateful for and touched by my fellow rehab patients. The first person I met was Mr. Lewis who had turned 84 the previous Monday and on my first morning in rehab, he came up and patted my arm and showed me how his left hand was working again after having a right-brain stroke like me. He told me not to give up that it would get better and he was starting to walk again last week when I left and he even went fishing. I didn't get to go along since I was in therapy, but I'll never forget his encouraging kindness and his positive outlook. It's kind of hard to get too lost in self-pity when you're surrounded by people with such grace, tenacity, dignity and courage. In addition to strokes, some people were recovering from brain injuries, car accidents, amputations or other painful surgeries. I think my new favorite mantra is starting to be, "Get over your bad self and get on with what is really important." Maybe a bit crass, but sometimes, it seems what we really need is a kick in the butt and a bit of bravery to move ahead. :)

And I suppose, because I have a need to try to find some bit of meaning as a result of this rather "out of the blue" event...I really hope you'll indulge me by doing two things:

1. go to http://www.strokeeducation.info/ and learn the warning signs of a stroke - this simple information could save your life or that of someone else Even children can have strokes
and

2. learn how to prevent a stroke by clicking on "Reducing Stroke" at the above site. Every 45 seconds someone suffers a stroke. Over 750,000 people in the United States experience a stroke every year. Stroke kills nearly 160,000 people each year. Stroke is the third leading cause of death in this country. Nearly 30% of those who suffer a stroke are under the age of 65. They affect men nearly as often as women and blacks almost twice more often than whites. Hispanics and Native Americans are also affected disproportionately. Stroke is the #1 cause of serious, long-term adult disability in the United States.

Among the most important things you can do are: 1. If you smoke, quit smoking, 2. know if you have high blood pressure and treat it aggressively . 3. If you are overweight, learn to eat right and exercise your way to a healthy weight. 4. Don't drink more than two drinks/day if you drink. 5. Reduce your bad cholesterol and 6. If you have Atrial Fibrillation, get it treated promptly. 7. If you have diabetes, treat it aggressively. As hard as any of these might seem to be to change, they've got to be easier than learning to walk or talk again if you're lucky enough to survive a stroke. Do it for you and for those who love you. I can't even think of someone I'd wish something like this on - certainly not anyone I know or care about. Please take care of yourself - your health is precious.

Well, I suppose that is enough typing practice and preaching for a day - I still need to do my exercises and ponder my significant attachments to french fries and heavy cream in my coffee. Stress also appears to be a factor in my particular stroke, so I'll also be trying to develop better routines for myself. They keep telling me that I need to be patient with the process, probably not my strong suit but I'm working on it.

Well, blah, blah, blah...enough about me - I hope you and yours are happy and healthy! If not, I hope you'll figure out how to get there.

Love to all
Wynne

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you mentioned the book: Stroke of Insight, I had just finished reading it when you had your stroke!
Why would I read that book? It sounded fasinating to me...I gave it to Sandra to read, and plan on passing it on to others, so I was elated to see that you have read it!
If you go to Amazon.com and put in the book title, you can watch the author on a video they have.
namaste,
suzanne

Steven said...

Hi Wynne,
Its good to see you typing, I know how important a keyboard is to you. Thank you for the updates - I think, no, I know you are well on your way to a virtual full recovery. I suppose that with that "out of the blue" incident there will always be residual issues but this will make you an even stronger women. To see you already framing it in the way your post reflects is amazing - but I would expect nothing less from Wynne Clark. I understand about the phone calls and emails, just don't think that is going to deter me from still leaving messages (smile). You are talked about every day. Just know you are missed and prayed for, as well as your family. Life sometimes has an interesting, if not uncomprehensible, way of teaching/giving us lessons. And you, are already teaching!
peace to you,
steve

Anonymous said...

Dear Wynne, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. I learned of your stroke via an email from Maggie to the Dems list. I have been following your blog and am happy to hear that you are making wonderful progress. God Bless you, Alma DeJesus Gendron

Anonymous said...

Wynne -

Your spirit transcends the typed page, and, as you have always inspired me in what you have accomplished through TCM, you continue to do so now. Your family must be super-proud of you, as I'm sure all who know you are, as well. Keep believing in what you do and those who believe in you, and push on with the dogged determination you are known for! Peace and well wishes to you and yours.

With love, Jenny Bollom